Frequently Asked Questions about Your City of Delaware Water Bill

Q: Why is my water bill high?
A: There could be several reasons. Have you had a house guest recently? Or maybe you’ve done some outside watering? Recently, some customers whose water meter was updated by the City reported an increase in their water charge. This is because the new meter is measuring water usage accurately; older meters can run slower and not record accurate usage.  The new meter technology ensures that customers pay only for the water they use – no more and no less. The most common cause, however, is the toilet. A continuously running toilet can waste up to 200 gallons a day; that can double a family’s typical water use

  • Doityourself Toilet Assessment
    First, check for the most common leak: a deteriorated or defected flush valve (flapper) ball at the bottom of the toilet tank. If it does not make a tight seal water will leak into the toilet bowl. To check for a leaky toilet follow these steps:
  1. Take the lid off of the tank behind the bowl, flush the toilet, and then wait for it to fully refill.
  2. Put a few drops of dye or a colored dye tablet (food coloring works well) in the tank.
  3. Wait at least 20 minutes; longer if you suspect it is a small leak.
  4. If there is any color in the toilet bowl, there is a leak.

The second most common type of leak has to do with an improperly adjusted or broken fill (ballcock) valve. To check for this take the lid off of the toilet tank, flush, and see if water is draining into the overflow tubes when the tank is full.

Q: Can I view my water bill online?
A: Yes. The City of Delaware makes it easy to manage your water account online. You can view all of your account information and pay your bill. Find the “Quick Help” section on our homepage at and click on “Make a Payment.” The link is here

Q: Can I track my water usage?
A: Yes. You can access your water usage data via a secure online portal. All you need to do is email us the following: customer name, service address, account number and a current phone number. Our City of Delaware Utility Office will then contact you when your personal web portal is set up. You will be able to view your home’s daily, weekly, monthly and yearly water usage; and have the ability to set alerts when usage spikes. For more information, phone the utility office at 740-203-1250, extension 4.

Q: I paid my water bill online but I don’t see my payment recorded. What’s taking so long?
A: Online payments are processed through a third-party company called Official Payments and require 24 hours to be recorded.

Q: I moved a month ago. Why did I receive a water bill from you?
A: You are always billed in arrears. Billing “in arrears” is often done by utility companies and means the invoice reflects fees from a prior time period; in your case, your last month in the residence.

Q: I’m moving and the realtor said the water account can be taken out of my name. Why did you turn it off?
A: For accounts to remain active, a responsible party must be identified. When moving out of a home, contact our Utility Billing office at least 24 hours before you leave, so we can schedule a final reading and obtain your forwarding address.

Q: Why is my sewer charge larger than my water charge?
A: Turning river or ground water into safe drinking water has a cost.  Cleansing the resulting waste water for its return to the environment has another cost. It’s not unusual for a sewer fee to be higher.  As environmental regulations have become more and more stringent over the past few decades, the costs of treating waste water to required levels have risen substantially.

Q: How do I start water service?
A: Call 740-203-1250, extension 4, at least 24 hours prior to wanting water service in your name.

Q:  I have a broken water pipe. Will the City fix it?
A: It depends on the location. The City of Delaware is responsible for all water pipes and connections leading up to and including your water on-off valve.  Our customers are responsible for anything from the on-off valve into the property. The valve usually is located outside, either in a water meter pit or by itself.

Q: Can I speak with someone about my bill?
A: Yes. Call 740-203-1250, extension 4. Utility billing staff is available M-F, 8 am to 5 pm. You can also email us


(Visited 3,368 times, 1 visits today)