The City of Delaware has made numerous changes to its operations in response to the coronavirus. These steps align with the social distancing recommendations made by the State of Ohio and local health department authorities.
City buildings are closed to visitors, including:
- City Hall, including the ground floor utility billing office and income tax office
- Planning and Building Department at Cohatch
- The Mingo Park Indoor Recreation Center
- Public Works Building
- Police Station (Lobby is open for police services and Municipal Court access)
- All Fire stations
- Municipal Court
The City Manager’s Office enacted an emergency declaration, effective at midnight Friday, March 20, for the City of Delaware. This administrative authority granted to City Manager Tom Homan was authorized March 18 by meeting of Delaware City Council. The declaration is consistent with those already made by Delaware County, and the state and federal levels of government. The order declares that:
- The City continue to provide the critical services needed to support the community. This requires that essential and necessary services be provided and that requires employees be healthy and available to work.
- Emergency purchases of supplies be made should that be necessary.
- The City be best positioned to receive outside resources and/or reimbursement for costs incurred under emergency conditions that may be made available by the State and Federal Government and for which the City of Delaware may have a role in obtaining or distributing. We’ll be tracking all our costs associated with this event in order that the City be in position to recover those costs if that becomes a possibility.
- For other reasons we cannot foresee at this time.
In addition, effective at midnight March 20, non-required full-time City of Delaware employees were directed to stay home, with pay. “Required,” or essential, employees are expected to continue to perform their assigned duties at their normal workplace, in the field, or from home (through telecommuting).
Public Meetings 740-203-1013
- Watch this space and our home page calendar at www.delawareohio.net for updates on upcoming Delaware City Council meetings being conducted remotely.
- All other City Board, Committee and Commission meetings scheduled for March and April are cancelled.
Utility Payments 740-203-1250
- The due date for the April utility bill is pushed back from April 15 to April 30.
- Residents are encouraged to pay utility bills electronically: Utility Bill Payment
- For drop-off payments, use the red, utility bill drop box at City Hall.
- Water disconnections are being suspended for March and April. If you have recently been disconnected, call 740-203-1250 between 8 am and 5 pm to arrange for water service re-connection.
Income Tax 740-203-1225
- The filing date for income tax returns is now July 15.
- Residents can drop off tax payments and paper returns outside City Hall in the red drop box.
- Electronic filing is encouraged for filing a City income tax return: Income Tax E-filing
- We are not able to provide face-to-face filing assistance but are ready to assist by phone at 740-203-1225 Monday through Friday 8 am – 5 pm. or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Federal Government announced that the due date for any taxes owed for the 2019 tax year will be extended to July 15. The City of Delaware also will extend the payment due date to July 15 and waive penalties/interest.
- Taxpayers may defer their final 2019 tax payment, as well as first and second quarter 2020 estimated tax payments, until July 15, 2020, without penalty or interest charges.
Business Resources 740-203-1016
- Businesses should use good judgement when determining if they are essential or non-essential. If you need guidance on making that determination, please visit our resource center here or contact our Economic Development office at 740-203-1016.
Parks and Recreation 740-203-1810
- City outdoor walking paths are open. When using the paths, please practice safe social distancing.
- Per the State of Ohio declaration, basketball courts, play toys and playgrounds in our parks are closed.
- The Mingo Indoor Recreation Center is closed.
- The Community Center YMCA is closed.
- Hidden Valley Golf Course is closed until at least April 30
Refuse, Recycling and Yardwaste Collection 740-203-1810
- There are NO changes to the normal collection schedule.
- Bag ALL refuse. Do not place lose rubbish in the blue toter bin.
- We know that many families have sons and daughters home from college or school, and there is more trash. But on your collection day we need ALL your trash to be contained completely within your blue toter bin and the lid fully closed. The concern is that the more things (extra trash bags) our crews touch the higher the chance of contamination. Our crews need to stay as healthy as possible to perform their jobs, for all of us. Other options: (1) Make sure you are recycling everything that can be recycled, to free up space in the refuse bin. If you need another free recycling bin, contact us at the below links. (2) Share toter space with a neighbor, if you or they have extra room, and as long as the lid still can fully close.
- Yardwaste collection will not begin until the week of May 4. City residents may drop off bagged yardwaste free of charge at Price Farms Organics
- If you have a refuse issue or question, please give the office a call at 740-203-1810 or email email@example.com
Planning and Building Department 740-203-1600
- For permit drop off, please use the blue totter bin located at the west entrance to Cohatch. Phone the department when you have dropped off a plan. Do not leave payments in the bin.
- For payment and pick up: Phone 740-203-1600 and we will work with you to take payment and release the permit.
- Inspection requests can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Police 740-203-1111 (non-emergency)
- The Police station is closed to visitors, but the lobby is open for police services and Municipal Court access.
Fire 740-203-1300 (non-emergency)
- All four Fire Stations are closed to visitors.
Municipal Court 740-203-1500
- All jury trials, civil or criminal, are suspended until after April 20.
- Most civil or criminal matters scheduled before a judge or magistrate are continued to at least April 20.
- Read the complete Municipal Court order at www.municipalcourt.org