When an emergency vehicle has its lights and siren on, it is responding to an emergency. It is the law and YOUR responsibility to:
- Pull to the right side of the road and STOP until the emergency vehicle has passed.
- Give all emergency vehicles the right-of-way.
- Keep back at least 500 feet from an emergency vehicle when it is responding with lights and sirens.
- Do not drive over fire hoses.
- Drive carefully around an emergency scene
At the Emergency:
- Have someone wait at the street to direct the fire and police departments to the emergency.
- If you are a witness to the emergency, stay at the scene to provide emergency personnel with information.
- If you are asked to move or leave the area, DO IT! The firefighters and police officers are looking out for your safety.
- Remember, things can become very hectic in an emergency. Firefighters and police officers need to do their job in a safe way