On May 9, 1808, a “plan of the town of Delaware” was filed, or “platted,” marking the real beginning of the present city of Delaware. A plat is a legal document of a map or tract or parcel of land made by a surveyor. The plat provides legal descriptions.
Long before Delaware was platted, the region was originally occupied by the Delaware Indians who shared the territory between Columbus and Lake Erie with the Mingos and other tribes. Prehistoric Hopewell mound builders inhabited this area even earlier.
In 1804, Moses Byxbe arrived from Berkshire County, Massachusetts. He had acquired a large number of land grants which were part of the United States Military lands, given in payment to Revolutionary War soldiers. In May 1808, Byxbe laid out a town on the east bank of the Olentangy River but a few days later changed his mind about the most suitable location and platted the town on the west bank.